On Fri, 13 May 2005, Jose Alberto Fernandez
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>> Another related problem I have is that you can't add
>> something to the beginning of a target easily.  You can add
>> someting to the end of "foo" by writing your own "foo" that
>> depends on "imported.foo", but if you want to add something
>> at the start your imported build file has to be designed for
>> it.  Which means pseudo-targets that are used as interception
>> points only.
>>

> Cant you write on the importing file:
>
> <target name="foo" depends="before-foo, imported.foo"/>
>
> <target name="before-foo">...</foo>

Not if I want to inject stuff between the targets "imported.foo"
depends on and "imported.foo" itself.

imported.xml

,----
| <target name="setup">
| </target>
|
| <target name="compile" depends="setup">
|   <javac .../>
| </target>
`----

build.xml

,----
| <target name="generate-java-from-idl">
|   <idl2java .../>
| </target>
`----

how do I get the build sequence imported.setup,
generate-java-from-idl, compile without modifying imported.xml and
without access to the dependencies of "compile"?

Today I either add depends="setup" to "generate-java-from-idl" and
have to change that whenever the depends list of "compile" changes or
I introduce an empty target to imported.xml, make "compile" depend on
it (as the last target in the list) and the override this empty target
with "generate-java-from-idl".