Stefan Bodewig wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Peter Reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The target gets renamed if there another target of the same name,
but not otherwise - how can one write a proper reusable import file
using the rename feature in this case?

I'm strongly +1 for at least providing renamed aliases for all targets, independent on how we achieve that.

The fix will have a small overhead - the target object needs to be
cloned and given a a new name, whereas the current code just renames
the target object.

Do we really need to create a complete clone? Can't we achieve the same with a more lazy approach?

Turning Matt's idea around:

(1) Target "foo" is in project "bar".
(2a) There already is a target "foo" from the file that imported
    "bar", use the current code, we are ready, "bar.foo" is there.
(2b) There is no other target "foo" yet.  Create an empty placeholder
    target "bar.foo" that depends on "foo".

If then later a target "foo" is found in the importing buildfile,
replace the placeholder "bar.foo" with the initial "foo" target.

I do not see what that will buy us much in terms of efficeny. However, there should be
no need to replace the placeholder as the overridding targets are processed first.

Wouldn't that work, stay backwards compatible and hide "bar." whenever
possible?

Yes.. I think so.

Peter