Kev Jackson wrote:

+1 for a separate task, packaged in an Ant library.  This one could be
release before Ant 1.7.0 which would give people using JUnit4 more
support sooner.

Personally I'd even prefer the JUnit team to provide that Ant library
so they have to keep up with their API changes themselves 8-)
That would certainly be optimal.  (+1 for seperate task)

With this addition to Ant 1.7 code base, we now have code that relies on jdk1.5 to build correctly (or will it build on <1.4?).

We already do, in the <isReachable> component, but I think it reflects.

I just got "inconvenienced" at work by compareTo suddenly becoming generic, there is a risk that code compiled on java1.5 that uses, say Long.compareTo() wont work on java1.4, where the argument is an Object not a Long. There was a fair bit of casting needed to keep Long.compareTo() to take an object without a complaint.

If this is the case, is there perhaps a case for moving some of the codebase forward from pre 1.2? I know that these changes are only in one of the tasks (and an optional one at that), but I think it's time to look at deprecating 1.1.8 support and at least move the core up to 1.2 standard (with Collections etc).

There is no need to run on Java1.1, as long as we can cross compile; nothing to stop you using collections. Its just the effort of patching things and of increasing the difference between SVN_HEAD and the shipping branch that has made people reluctant.

-steve