--- Dominique Devienne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The point about building the strings when they
> aren't used (because
> > logging verbosity is set too low) still stands
> though - this is less
> > than efficient
>
> The point, which Matt already raised, is that you
> can't know the level
> at which the logger and the listeners are set. There

Actually, I think that was Jan.  :)

> is nothing ATM in
> the Ant codebase to tip off the project as to the
> min log level of all
> logger+listener to implement your optimization. This
> could be can be
> added though, and would be useful IMHO, but that's a
> separate thread.
>
> The StringBuffer optimization is well known. I've
> either read about it
> in Effective Java or the "K&R" of Java,
> The.Java.Prog.Lang.
>
> I think what you propose to do would clutter the
> code, and make it
> ugly frankly ;-) I'd probably -1 it unless you can
> show hard evidence
> of it's usefulness.
>
> If <delete> is causing problem, replacing it by a
> custom task which is
> streamlined and doesn't need to buffer all files to
> delete beforehand
> for example. --DD

I had tried to make <delete> do as little buffering as
possible.  The original resourceCollection-enabled
version was reported by Alexey to present a major
slowdown for existing large fileset deletions, but I
refactored the fileset handling to try to avoid this.
At present I can see where more speed could possibly
be coaxed out here, but it would cost memory which is
apparently already a problem.  Any relevant profiling
results would be of interest to me.

-Matt