On Nov 14, 2007 9:50 AM, Peter Reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 3:18 PM, Dominique Devienne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Nov 14, 2007 8:07 AM, Wolfgang Häfelinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > * Simple fix...place all third-party jars in $ANT_HOME/lib
> > >
> > > Honestly, putting something into Ant's  lib directory is really ugly and
> > > all
> > > those alternatives ($HOME/.ant etc) do not solve the overall problem.
>
> I would argue that using -lib is nearly as ugly as placing jars in
> $ANT_HOME/lib
> (but not as bad!!)
>
> On projects at work,  that I am involved in, I insist on
> using "clean room" ant 1.7.0 and "clean room" java 1.5.* (or higher).
>
> For each antlib / extension that is needed, I have an ant file that
> sets up the extension for-example ant-contrib.

Given a corporate environment (as opposed to OSS), I believe it's
entirely OK, and even A-Good-ThingTM to have an official and properly
configured Ant version which is the only *official* and *sanctioned*
way to run the builds, which is under source control.

The allows proper control of the dependencies, and allows to manage
Ant versions to be used by the different branches/versions of the
software, and most importantly it's easy! Check out the proper branch
of the build tools, and of the software to be built, and you're in
business. Just add JDK and shake, and here you go, instant CM ;-)

I'm sure your build organization rocks Peter, but I personally view it
as more complex and more trouble that I was willing to live with
myself (I'm not even sure I could pull such a setup off myself in
fact!).

Different people draw the line between the absolute ideal and the
practical at different places. Having a centralized Ant under SCM was
the thing for me, and obviously others find it unacceptable, and have
to live with my complex setups. Then again it's these people, Peter
first, who enhance Ant to support better models for the future, so
power to you guys ;-)

Cheers, --DD