On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Archie Cobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd like to propose that the new "builder" resolver be included in ivy. In
> order to do this however, other developers need to vote yes or no. So I'd
> ask that you please let the list know your opinion.
>
> Quick summary:
>
> The Builder Resolver is a new Ivy resolver that supports downloading,
> extracting and repackaging (as necessary) artifacts on-demand. It allows
> for
> a clearer separation between two jobs which don't necessarily go together:
> maintaining Ivy meta-data, and hosting the actual artifacts. In addition,
> it's easy to use the builder resolver to build a normal repository
> containing artifacts.
>
> The most important aspect of this new resolver is that it makes it much
> easier to create and maintain a public Ivy repository, something that IMHO
> is sorely lacking right now.  And the Ivy RoundUp project is already doing
> just that (note Ivy RoundUp is a completely separate project from ivy
> itself).
>
> Some links...
>
> * Builder resolver
> patch<
> http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/files/builder-resolver.patch>
> * Builder resolver
> documentation<http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/files/builder.html
> >
> * Ivy RoundUp project <http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/>
>
> This has also been discussed recently in a couple of threads
> (here<
> http://www.nabble.com/Ivy-RoundUp-Repository---feedback-requested-td16704469.html
> >and
> here <http://www.nabble.com/Open-source-ivy-files-project--to16437122.html
> >
> ).
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

I'm +1 to include this in Ivy core. The patch is well written, documented
and tested. More importantly, I think the work Archie has began on the Ivy
roundup repository will be a great asset for the community, if enough people
start using it. Integrating the builder resolver in Ivy core will help drive
adoption of this new repository IMO.

The only thing I dislike with this resolver is its name. The 'builder' name
makes people think this resolver compiles modules, while it just repackage
them if necessary. Hence I prefer to use another name.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/