Conceptually I agree with you, but I think we need to recognize why people would want this and to validate their concerns.

Consider these targets:

 <target name="full-build" depends="clean,compile,jar-files">...</target>
 <target name="update-build" depends="compile,jar-files">...</target>

Whether or not "clean" is a dependency of "compile" depends on the context "compile" is executed in. Now, it is possible to work around this but I am fairly sure that using dependencies as described above is a common implementation pattern for our users. I know that I have used it in the past, and probably will again. Sacrilege, I know. :-)

For this specific feature, though, I don't believe the target-group should have ordering added to it. Specifying an order would needlessly complicate the use of the feature, as well as promoting behaviour that we generally consider "bad" for build systems. Since there is a workaround (providing ordering through the dependency tree), I think the unordered solution is better.

But I wanted to make sure we fully understand the cost to our users of leaving it unordered.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

If you need a specific order of execution, you should ensure that your
depends attributes are correct.  If target "a" must be run before
target "b" than "b" simply must depend upon "a".

This is true with normal targets and I don't see why target-groups
would change that.