I think that summary does the job nicely. The only other topic I saw brought up on this thread was whether a target-group should be allowed to have tasks in it rather than requiring it to be empty. This can also be discussed separately, though, if people feel strongly enough about it.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

OK, with Matt's recent response it sounds as if we could add
target-group as a new kind of target that is always empty and whose
depends list other targets may append to while the build file is
parsed.

IMHO this much can be added to core right away.

There have been discussions on whether we'd need more control over
ordering of dependencies or a different interpretation of if/unless
but these can be solved separately.

Does that summary sound correct?