I worked a little bit more on the Groovy frontend, and I have some suggestions again on the ProjectHelper.

In Ant 1.8 we introduced the ProjectHelperRepository which is maintaining the list of available ProjectHelper in the classpath. And we use it to find the project helper that will be able to parse a specified build file with ProjectHelper#supportsBuildFile(...). I suggest we should do the same for the antlib with the help of ProjectHelper#canParseAntlibDescriptor(...) (and then maybe have some method name consistency by renaming supportsBuildFile to canParseBuildFile).

In the Ant and SubAnt tasks the default build file is build.xml. Someone providing its own ProjectHelper can also provide some subclass of Ant and SubAnt while overriding the default build file expected. For instance I have some Gant and SubGant tasks which are specifying that they expect some build.groovy files as default. But I think now that it would be better to make these Ant and SubAnt tasks behave more like the Main class behaves. Starting Ant 1.8 the Main class is calling the ProjectHelperRepository to get the default build files names defined by the ProjectHelpers, search for each one on the filesystem, and use the first found. I think that the Ant and SubAnt tasks should do the same. Then there will be no need for the providers of ProjectHelpers to define they own subclasses of Ant and SubAnt.

WDYT ?

Nicolas