Those changes you have sound useful. Good luck with getting them cleared, I'm sure a number of people would appreciate having access to those hooks.

I think adding the standard packaging and deployment mechanism of Java 8 to Antlibs once 8 comes out makes a lot of sense. Once that happens someone could give the results from testing with some of the standard JARs that Ant Users prefer. Or perhaps the JRE will bundle one that everyone uses by default.

That is if it makes it into the release. JSR 277 and JSR 294 had high hopes to start that process but they are both now marked as inactive. Project Jigsaw[1] appears to be an important target for Java 8[2] and I've read a blog post that said that one of the requirements that has been adopted is OSGI compatibility. So hopefully it will.

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/
[2] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/