On 2/15/2012 5:48 PM, Bruce Atherton wrote:
I've read a blog post that said that one of the requirements that has been adopted is OSGI compatibility...

Here is the post I mentioned: http://osgithoughts.blogspot.com/2011/05/java-se-8-modularity-requirements.html

It brings up a good point: a system architected with modularity in mind is fundamentally different from a system that isn't. Ant 1.x is modular, but there are many different kinds of modularity introduced over time and it can be hard to keep track of which files need to be modified to add a particular build file element. Some are pluggable, some load from a properties list, etc. Sometimes, particularly for backward API compatibility, you need to add a new element to more than one place and it can be easy to miss one.

Having a single module system for the whole system that is compatible with what is expected in Java 8, with the option of plugging OSGI in to replace it, seems like a good solution to me. When Java 8 is the lowest supported JVM of Ant 2 (sometime 5 years from now based on previous experience) we can drop our solution and use whatever is bundled as the default.