Hi Marc,

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 07:31:52PM +0100, Marc Santhoff wrote:

> > > But at least it showshow this stuff is expected to work.
> > [...]
> > (and indeed the cited sample doesn't use the mailmergelistener at all)
> >
> > I guess I'll just file an issue to have something like "you need to
> > create your own mail-merge to use the listener" to the docs.
>
> Please do that, it happens that some framework designs from the
> "thinking lab" are conceptually nice and orthogonal but not well suited
> for practically using them.

???
Why not add a hint for other users that they cannot use the
mailmerge-listener to hook-up into the existing wizard?
That would save those that come after me the fuzz about trying with no
success and asking on the mailinglist and waiting for an answer, only to
get to know that trying with the mailmerge-listener was wasted time
since it cannot be used that way?

> > > Okay, thinking about it two ideas come to my mind:
> > >
> > > 1. Hacking up^w Improving the wizard
> >
> > Honestly, I like the OOo 1.x way much better. No fancy wizard. Just drag
> > the fields into your document where you want them, optionally add some
> > conditions (that's where help from a wizard would come handy), then
> > select the set of rows you want to have included and fire off the
> > mailmerge.
>
> If I'm honest too, I must admit that I'm only rarely using 2.x and never
> did use the wizard myself. Isn't it possible to switch that thing off?

It is somewhat possible. You must edit your toolbar to add an icon for
the old mailmerge. The new wizard and the old way have the same name, so
you have to guess. You cannot add this icon to the database-beamer
toolbar, you have to add it to the default toolbar.
And even worse: you cannot select the datarows before launching the
wizard, the selection is lost. Instead the old-style-dialog will open a
new dialog that has a grid control that showst the databasetable. There
you can highlight the rows that should be part of the mailmerge.

> I'll try mail merge on 2.x later on ...

Please do. And you'll shake your head...

> For me 1.1.[3|5] is still working well in most situations. ;)
>
> > Choose whether print/save and maybe offer a way to see a preview.
> > That is my view of a useful "wizard".
>
> Sounds good, the preview widget is already in the code somewhere.
>
> On the other hand: you might have choosen the wrong task for beginners
> level.

You got me totally wrong. I do not intend to write a new wizard. I was
seeking an easy solution to integrate the functionality of my addon.
Both for me, as well for the user who'll use the addon.

I thought of adding a button "run the merge with the addon", that would
just launch OOo own's mail-merge wizard, but with the listener added, so
that I could modify the created documents (but now I know that this
doesn't work)... Everything else, especially hacking OOo itself is much
of an effort (and as you wrote yourself: Not something for a beginner
like me :-)

ciao
Christian
--