Hi Juergen,

> with our codesnippets.services.openoffice.org we have useful resource to
> find some useful snippets. But the contribution is from my point of view
> not easy enough. Although Tom Schindl did a tremendous job to set up the
> environment and infra structure and Paolo Mantovani who provides the
> excellent Snippet Creator i would like to suggest that we move the
> examples, snippets etc. into the wiki.

Wikis are a cool thing, but I'm actually not sure they're the best
solution for each and everything.

Rony already mentioned some things the Wiki is lacking, there certainly
are more.

One example: Try to copy'n'paste a macro from e.g. [1] to your Basic
editor - you'll find there are a lot of line numbers, and too much line
breaks. This means you need to manually adjust the macro before you can
use it. Now what is more expensive - somebody investing a little
additional effort while contributing, or everybody investing additional
effort while using?
I'm sure all those problems in the Wiki can be solved, but IMO we should
actually do so before migrating to the Wiki.

Alternatively (and perhaps better and less expensive in terms of work to
be invested), we should think about lowering the hurdles for
contribution with the existing snippet creator. What about some
semi-automated way to contribute, to bypass the bottle neck of a single
"moderator"? What about integrating a "submit" functionality into the
snippet creator? What about integrating the snippet creator into the
next OOo release?

In other words: Are we really sure migration to the Wiki is the best
way? I'm uncertain about it.

Ciao
Frank

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Logging

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -