Thanks for your most informative answer, Jim.

Please refer to my posting:

"Where should I submit some changes that I made to the ConnectionAwareClient example?"

in openoffice.devel.general for context on what follows.

My suspicions are confirmed. A discovery API is needed, and God
knows when -or if- that is going to happen.

Perhaps my concern (see Subject line) could be addressed in
a simpler way. I was mostly satisfied with the simplest and
most common (at least in tutorial stuff) way of starting OOo:

   Bootstrap.bootstrap();

But, after a lot of experimentation I have concluded that
you cannot possibly disconnect from OOo when it is started in
the above bootstrap() fashion. If there were a way to disconnect,
I would be satisfied, until a more general UDDI is added.

So the question becomes: is there any way to disconnect programmatically
from a session started by Bootstrap.bootstrap()?

The only solution I have found is Draconian: it involves killing
OOo altogether, regardless of how many other sessions it has.

TIA,

-Ramon