Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
Hello Juergen,

On Thursday 14 May 2009, 06:44, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
Hi,

i would like to suggest that we start new threads to discuss proposals
for API changes with a subject

API.CHANGE-<ver>: ....
e.g.
API.CHANGE-4.0: ....

is this <ver> the current version where the to-be-changed API appears, or the version where it will be integreted? in the later case, quite impossible to guess.

sorry for being unclear, it should be the version for which the change is proposed. Well you are correct that it is not easy to say 100%. But i think if somebody will change an API he/she has of course a specific release in mind, probably the next possible major release. It should be just for the discussion. A complete list with all changes for a major release is necessary anyway and will be available in the wiki.

Interpret it more as PROPOSED.API.CHANGE-4.0 but i wanted keep it shorter. Maybe you have a better idea? I think we have more or less agreed that API changes should made early in a release phase to allow others to adapt their code as well.

It doesn't mean that a proposed change will automatically come into the the named release. I thought it could help to find related discussion for the next upcoming major release easily and not more.

Juergen