Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
> On Thursday 14 May 2009, 15:12, Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany
> wrote:
>> Hi Ariel,
>>
>> > is there already a general agreement about when API changes will be
>> > allowed?
>>
>> In my understanding, there was no definitive answer to this question in
>> the thread which discussed it. The general consensus seemed to be
>> towards "change anything you like (as long as it's reasonable) in a
>> major release". In my opinion, this /perhaps/ is somewhat too generous
>> for a major release, and /definitely/ too restrictive for all
>> intermediate releases.
>
> well, I couldn't find info about the OOo 2.0 release, but just comparing
>
> OOo 2.0.1 = Dec. 2005
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease201
>
> OOo 3.0 = Oct 2008
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease30
>
> If major releases happen every 3 years, then allowing API changes only on a
> mayor release does not make much sense to me.

That depends from where you look at it. We always must consider that API
users expect API stability, so we need to find a good compromise.
Changing APIs every 6 months definitely isn't one.

I think that for now aiming for 4.0 as the first release that allows for
incompatible API changes is reasonable and I see this as a good
opportunity to get the most annoying things fixed. So perhaps the
"pressure" to have more fixes only a few months later shouldn't be too
high and for now I would like to plan for 5.0 as the next release for
more changes. That leaves a lot of time for further discussion whether
we should also allow for changes in (some) minors or if 3 years between
two majors perhaps is too much anyway.

Regards,

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".