> create a release based on an ongoing frantic development tree, all you
> have to do is selectively tag the repository to include only those
> revisions that you consider to be stable.  There is no rule that requires
> the entire HEAD to be tagged at once, and there is nothing wrong with
> moving tags from one revision to another within CVS *provided* that
> such moves are made before a tarball based on that tag is released.

roy,

sounds like you already appreciate the need for partial /
selective tagging.

the difference between what you propose and what i propose is that the
_developers_ must use - on a daily basis - selective / partial tagging -
_not_ the release manager.

then and _only_ then can this rule be applied and be more confident to
work: "no developer shall commit code to cvs main if it don't work / ain't
stable".

of course, you can't fix all the bugs, and you can't forsee what might
happen if two developers do two cvs merges simultaneously from two of
their partial-cvs-tags, but we have that already on a smaller-scale on a
per-file basis: you can't forsee what might happen if two developers fix
the same problem in the same file in different ways!

that's the trade-off you get with concurrent versioning.

luke

 ----- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

"i want a world of dreams, run by near-sighted visionaries"
"good.  that's them sorted out.  now, on _this_ world..."