> > surely that's not too much process to cause more pain than the benefits
> > are worth, neh?
>
> There is a lot of resistance to using tags and branches the way you
> suggest Luke.

okay: i have to admit - i made a mistake in "oversimplifying" what i
suggested [full branching of an entire sub-tree of code].

>  I believe it has already received a -1 on this list at some
> point, but I would have to look.  There are a lot of people who would
> agree with you that branching is a good thing, we just need to figure out
> how to address the concerns that other people have.

_full_ branching, especially for prolonged periods of time, is something
that...

well...

let's just say that i have a _personal_ interest in letting other projects
know what i think about the disadvantages of branching projects, and leave
it at that.

which is why i am advocating this usage of cvs tags that i have definitely
not seen in day-to-day usage in any projects, anywhere.

heck, i even heard of a company that purchased a commercial source control
program because they didn't know that cvs could tag / branch individual
files like this, and it had never occurred to them to do partial tagging.

so, sorry for misleading people with the earlier post: i am most
_definitely_ NOT, repeat, NOT, advocating the use of _full_ [i.e.
recursive-into-directories] cvs tag / branching.  full tag/branching gets
you nowhere as you end up on _exactly_ the same slippery slope, but just
under a different name, _and_ you have a full merging headache afterwards.

the whole point of partial tagging is that the developer does
twin-checkouts and day-to-day compilation tests.  one of the cvs main and
one of the
combined-cvs-main-and-their-partial-tagged-files-that-they-are-working-on.

i will be very surprised if anyone has proposed this before, and if they
have, i would be interested to hear the reasons why it was not considered.

luke

 ----- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

"i want a world of dreams, run by near-sighted visionaries"
"good.  that's them sorted out.  now, on _this_ world..."