> > Are there any platforms do _not_ support libtool 1.4 or have problems
> > with it? What about specific versions of 1.4 (like 1.4.2 on AIX for
> > example)? If so, I don't want to get in to the version nightmare that
> > projects like PHP have gotten themselves in to. OTOH, if we can minimize
>
>     Could you elaborate?

PHP seems to require a magic combination of versions for libtool,
autoconf, and automake that allow it to build properly, and can on
occasion freak out if you don't have the right combo (Cliff, what is
up with your slackware?). I've run configure and had it produce what
seemed like a perfect run, only to realize that it didn't produce any
Makefiles. Very strange. I like how apache *always* runs buildconf w/o
failure on all my machines, regardless of autoconf/libtool versions.

-aaron