> PHP seems to require a magic combination of versions for libtool,
> autoconf, and automake that allow it to build properly, and can on
> occasion freak out if you don't have the right combo (Cliff, what is
> up with your slackware?).

    Most likely a broken vendor installation of at least one
    involved tool.  Reinstalling from ftp.gnu.org will usually
    cure this.  Ensure that existing instances of the tool are
    nuked properly from the system before the new installation
    takes place.

> I've run configure and had it produce what
> seemed like a perfect run, only to realize that it didn't produce any
> Makefiles. Very strange. I like how apache *always* runs buildconf w/o
> failure on all my machines, regardless of autoconf/libtool versions.

    PHP requires:

    - working setup of any autoconf/automake version
    - libtool 1.4.x

    That's it.  libtool 1.3 is not supported, because it has a
    different interface..

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg