Le 18/10/2019 à 20:58, Wes McKinney a écrit :
I'm definitely uncomfortable with the idea of deprecating Status.

We have a few kinds of functions that can fail:

1. Functions with no "out" arguments
2. Functions with one out argument
3. Functions with multiple out arguments

IMHO functions in category 2 are the best candidates for utilizing
Status. In some cases, Case 3 may be more usable Result-based, but it
can also create more work (or confusion) on the part of the developer,
either

* The T in Result<T> has to be a struct-like value that transports
multiple pieces of data

The T can be a std::tuple though, so you need not necessarily define a dedicated struct type for a single API's return value.

> Can't say I'm thrilled about having Result<void> or similar for Case
> 1-type functions (if I'm understanding what would be the solution
> there).

Agreed.

Regards

Antoine.