One of the items that we discussed at Wednesday's Rust sync was "what is
the criteria to merge a Rust PR". There was no conclusion at the meeting,
but there was a proposal which we would like to discuss on the mailing list.

*Goal*: Keep Arrow Rust PRs flowing in a timely fashion, thereby keeping
velocity high and encouraging additional contributions, while also ensuring
that quality is maintained and all contributors have a chance to weigh in
prior to merge.

*Proposed Guideline:* (mostly a formalization of what I see happening
already):

1. Have 2 approvals prior to merging a PR, with at least one from a
committer
2. Have been open for several days to allow interested parties time to
comment
3. All comments have been addressed (including honoring requests for
additional time to review)

Some flexibility in the rules is likely important: there are different
parts of the code at fairly different levels of maturity, and there are
some parts of the code (e.g. some parts of the parquet code base that don’t
have a large number of reviewers)

For small changes such as fixing CI, or formatting, less time / fewer
reviews are ok, as determined by the judgement of the committer.

Please let us know your thoughts,
Andrew