I only want to have independent patch releases but still keep the main
releases aligned with the other releases.

I want to make sure I have the process right. When we want to make a patch
release, do we still need to call a vote? When we actually want to make a
release, what do we do to bump the version number and call `npm publish`?
What’s the purpose of the source tarball script you linked to? Should this
be called by a CI process or a user with particular access permissions?