A crash on invalid *user* input can easily turn into a security vulnerability (if only because it's a possible vector for DoS attacks), and so should definitely be considered critical.

What's not critical is a crash when the caller of a C++ API doesn't respect the API contract (e.g. passes a null pointer where non-null is expected).

Regards

Antoine.