Hi Alva,

I would encourage you to do whatever will make life more pleasant for
you and other contributors to the Swift Arrow implementation. I have
found development of an Arrow subproject (nanoarrow) in a separate
repository very pleasant. While I don't run integration tests there,
it's not because of any technical limitation (instead of pulling one
repo in your CI job, just pull two).

For the R bindings to Arrow, which do depend on the C++ bindings, we
do have some benefit because Arrow C++ changes that break R tend to
get fixed by the C++ contributor in their PR, rather than that
responsibility always falling on us. That said, it doesn't happen very
often, and we have informally toyed with the idea of moving out of the
monorepo to make it less intimidating for outside contributors.

Cheers,

-dewey