[EMAIL PROTECTED];
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [ANN] Avalon Closed
>
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 02:26:43AM +0100, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > The Avalon community established a PMC to represent the community
> > interests concerning the direction and administration of the Avalon
> > project.
>
> Um. No. The Apache Software Foundation established the PMC. Its
> purpose was to provide the necessary (legal) oversight of the
> development of the Avalon project. That oversight is/was necessary to
> establish the appropriate legal protection for the committers on the
> project and the ASF itself.
>
> It is the ASF that releases the Avalon code, not the committers. To do
> that properly, certain things need to be done for the benefit of all
> involved. You may disagree with some of those processes, their
> purpose, and how it was done, but that is simply too bad. They need to
> exist so that our users can properly trust the code we provide.

Greg:

My agreement on the subject of the process is already established (I
contributed to and voted in favor of the adoption of the process of
which we speak).  What I disagree to is the actions of the Member of the
Board and the Chair in ignoring the decisions of the community and
ignoring the adopted processes established under the direction of the
board.

> > The community interests were clear - a single platform, one
> > specification, a cohesive solution.
>
> No, that was never clear. That was *your* desire, Stephen, and you did
> everything you could to steer things in that direction. You alienated
> people, you berated people, and you generally made things unpleasant
> for anybody that did not have your same "vision". Avalon went through
> many phases, and the "single platform" you mention was simply the last
> thing standing after your various escapades.

Greg - you are a chairman of the ASF.  In this capacity you have an
obligation to at least to state the truth.  This community voted on the
subject of Avalon direction.  The decision of this community was to move
forward with a single platform.  That was not the decision of an
individual - it was the decision of a community - a decision that you,
the other members of the board, and the chair chose to ignore.

> > That decision was not respected by
> > the outgoing chair nor the board of directors of the ASF.
>
> The Board had nothing to do with these directions or choices. Our only
> (recent) involvment was that the VP in charge of Avalon asked us to
> terminate the project, so we did.

A board decision taken *without* the endorsement of the Avalon PMC,
*without* a vote of the community and clearly in contradiction with the
expressed interests of the committers at that time.

Let's not try and rewrite history just yet.

Stephen.