Le 27 nov. 2017 23:07, "Eugene Kirpichov" <kirpic...@google.com.invalid> a
écrit :

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>

> > Romain, as mentioned earlier, I identified that Maven was slower because
> it
> > needed to finish building the entire module before dependent modules
> could
> > start which included running tests, performing checkstyle, etc...
> > Gradle is able to increase the parallelism of the build process since it
> > has task driven parallelism so as long as the files are compiled, the
> > dependent projects can start.
>
> This means we can implement a maven graph builder which is better than
> the default one - surely with a thread safe local repo - and
> contribute it back to solve it durably.

That would be indeed a wonderful contribution to the Java ecosystem as a
whole, but I'd like to reiterate that Maven has existed for very long, I'm
sure a lot of people have noticed its poor parallelization in the
meanwhile, and still nobody has even tried doing this AFAIK.

So it seems unlikely that this is doable in a reasonable timeframe, and I
don't think that the possibility of this is a strong argument against
switching to Gradle.

Agree. Just to clarify: my strong argument against gradle is that it is not
enterprise mainstream IMHO - dont forget github projects are a lot about
personal tests, small projects, so hard to use all the repos as a valid
stat - which leads to enhancing mvn rather than switching.

Again, as an ASF project, not even contacting our colleagues is not very
sane so I would go and check with them rather than just doing like a github
project maintained by a single company.

Side note on previous mail: mvn extensibility is "mature". Mojo let you do
what you want and you can customize the lifecycle as well. The main
difference is a standardized build (descriptive) vs a fully custom and "by
developer" styled script.

<k...@google.com.invalid

<lc...@google.com.invalid