Romain, as mentioned earlier, I identified that Maven was slower because it
needed to finish building the entire module before dependent modules could
start which included running tests, performing checkstyle, etc...
Gradle is able to increase the parallelism of the build process since it
has task driven parallelism so as long as the files are compiled, the
dependent projects can start.

Maven and Gradle are both heavily used since there are ~146k Maven projects
on Github while there are ~122k Gradle project on Github. Do you have data
which shows that Maven is significantly more "mainstream"?

I believe we want a rich multi-language SDK and community and feel as
though it would be unwise to treat non JDK based languages as second class.