​I think it's great to go ahead and merge it, so it can continue evolving.
As with all things, it'll adopt new stuff as it becomes ready (in fact, it
may even prove to be a great example of how to port an existing "legacy"
runner to the portability stuff when ready).​

It seems the immediate blocker (gradle) was addressed, and there is great
future work planned. Exciting!