Mention bot looks cool, as it tries to guess the reviewer using blame.
I've written a quick and dirty script that uses only CODEOWNERS.

Its output looks like:
$ python suggest_reviewers.py --pr 5940
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @lukecwik for:
/runners/core-construction-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/core/construction/PTransformMatchers.java
(path_pattern: /runners/core-construction-java*)
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @lukecwik for:
/runners/core-construction-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/core/construction/SplittableParDoNaiveBounded.java
(path_pattern: /runners/core-construction-java*)
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @echauchot for:
/runners/core-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/core/SplittableParDoViaKeyedWorkItems.java
(path_pattern: /runners/core-java*)
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @lukecwik for: /runners/flink/build.gradle
(path_pattern: */build.gradle*)
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @lukecwik for:
/runners/flink/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/flink/FlinkTransformOverrides.java
(path_pattern: *.java)
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @pabloem for:
/runners/google-cloud-dataflow-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/dataflow/DataflowRunner.java
(path_pattern: /runners/google-cloud-dataflow-java*)
INFO:root:Selected reviewer @lukecwik for:
/sdks/java/core/src/test/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/transforms/SplittableDoFnTest.java
(path_pattern: /sdks/java/core*)
Suggested reviewers: @echauchot, @lukecwik, @pabloem

Script is in: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/5951

What does the community think? Do you prefer blame-based or rules-based
reviewer suggestions?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM Holden Karau <hol...@pigscanfly.ca> wrote:

> I'm looking at something similar in the Spark project, and while it's now
> archived by FB it seems like something like
> https://github.com/facebookarchive/mention-bot might do what we want. I'm
> going to spin up a version on my K8 cluster and see if I can ask infra to
> add a webhook and if it works for Spark we could ask INFRA to add a second
> webhook for Beam. (Or if the Beam folks are more interested in
> experimenting I can do Beam first as a smaller project and roll with that).
>
> Let me know :)
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Eugene Kirpichov <kirpic...@google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds reasonable for now, thanks!
>> It's unfortunate that Github's CODEOWNERS feature appears to be
>> effectively unusable for Beam but I'd hope that Github might pay attention
>> and fix things if we submit feedback, with us being one of the most active
>> Apache projects - did anyone do this yet / planning to?
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While I like the idea of having a CODEOWNERS file, the Github
>>> implementation is lacking:
>>> 1. Reviewers are automatically assigned at each push.
>>> 2. Reviewer assignment can be excessive (e.g. 5 reviewers in Eugene's PR
>>> 5940).
>>> 3. Non-committers aren't assigned as reviewers.