There are lots of great places for messages/encouragement to developers as
they work more into our community.  Though, PR merge messages would
potentially be quite valuable [ for ex:
https://news.apache.org/foundation/entry/the-asf-launches-firstasfcontribution-campaign
... specifically, I wanted to send a message thanking for someone's first
PR merge, and encourage them to fill out the form
<https://forms.gle/FDwR9wLZCkwhirTM9> ( while that campaign is active ), so
that they then write up something for ASF to publish, which in-turn
increases the visibility of Beam :-) and Beam as a great example of a
healthy ASF project ].

No disagreement that if something exists off-the-shelf that is actions
based that is a plenty fine way to proceed.  For the shared use-case, the
PR merge is the ideal place to message.

Alternatives:
* I'd also be happy to leverage first-interaction for everything it can do,
and only use welcome-bot for the things that aren't met elsewhere [ also
happy to eventually remove welcome-bot, ex: after that ASF campaign or once
a suitable off-the-shelf replacement comes along ]
or
* @Danny McCormick <dannymccorm...@google.com> - any idea whether there is
another tool that can help with messaging on first-pr-merge that we'd be
more happy with [ I can search around some if that's the path ]?  And/or
since I imagine you might know GH Action internals [ IIRC you had worked
with/for that organization ] better than me at the moment, do you think
that's functionality that could straightforwardly be added to
first-interaction <https://github.com/actions/first-interaction> [ if they
would accept a PR ].  Else, if we think the APIs support a
decent/straightforward design, I can always create a custom GH action.  I
can dig in there if that's the route needed to accomplish, but thought you
might recall the GH APIs better than my current knowledge.  Thoughts?