If the merge message is a key part of this then I'm fine using
behaviorbot (though I think a PMC member would need to install it, I don't
have the right permission set).

> I'd also be happy to leverage first-interaction for everything it can do,
and only use welcome-bot for the things that aren't met elsewhere [ also
happy to eventually remove welcome-bot, ex: after that ASF campaign or once
a suitable off-the-shelf replacement comes along ]

I don't think we should do this, there's not really a benefit gained if
we're still using welcome-bot.

> @Danny McCormick <dannymccorm...@google.com> - any idea whether there is
another tool that can help with messaging on first-pr-merge that we'd be
more happy with [ I can search around some if that's the path ]?

My best alternative would be actions/first-interaction for first issues/prs
opened and a custom workflow using an if/else and
actions/comment-pull-request
<https://github.com/marketplace/actions/comment-pull-request> for the pr
merge comment, that is probably more trouble than it is worth though (>10
lines of code for something that can just be config).

> And/or since I imagine you might know GH Action internals [ IIRC you had
worked with/for that organization ] better than me at the moment, do you
think that's functionality that could straightforwardly be added to
first-interaction <https://github.com/actions/first-interaction> [ if they
would accept a PR ]

This wouldn't be too hard codewise, but the team hasn't been especially
responsive on external code reviews, so I wouldn't block on this route.

Thanks,
Danny