Regarding Dan's questions:
1. I'm not sure - it is built with spark-*_2.10 but I honestly don't know
if this matters for the runner itself, it could be nice to have in order to
be more informative. In addition, this will change with Spark 2.0 to Scala
2.11 AFAIK.
2. This is to allow running out-of-the-box examples I guess. The Flink
runner just tells you how to do it on your own here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam/tree/master/runners/flink
Would you say this is a better approach ?

In any case, packaging is necessary to run on cluster and the shading rules
are there for Guava - Beam/Hadoop..