Hey Arnaud,

I was looking into the ASF voting mechanism recently and came across this:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

In this case, I think the relevant portion for a single -1 derailing the
vote is here:

---
Votes on code modifications follow a different model. In this scenario, a
negative vote constitutes a veto , which cannot be overridden. Again, this
model may be modified by a lazy consensus declaration when the request for
a vote is raised, but the full-stop nature of a negative vote is unchanged.
Under normal (non-lazy consensus) conditions, the proposal requires three
positive votes and no negative ones in order to pass; if it fails to garner
the requisite amount of support, it doesn't -- and typically is either
withdrawn, modified, or simply allowed to languish as an open issue until
someone gets around to removing it.
---

As @cos mentioned earlier in the thread, the vote is on the bigtop code
base and (to me) falls under the above code modification guidelines.  He
found a blocking RAT issue with the bigtop source and voted -1.  There is
no math that can dilute his veto.

I'm far from an expert on ASF voting, but that's my read on why a binding
-1 could block the release.

-Kevin