Thanks for the great question and the detailed answer about the code mods vote!
The issue we have here is kinda on the fence: the issue is in the
code, but the vote is on the release. If you look at the same page but
under "Votes on Package Releases" you'll see that "...the 'minimum
quorum of three +1 votes' rule is universal."  So, two +1 aren't
enough, as for release to be blessed by the PMC at least three votes
are required.

And no: binding votes aren't as twice as powerful ;) But only binding
votes are material when it gets to a release, because a project's PMC
is legally bound by the release decision. Hence, my -1 indicates that
we have a serious issue with inability to validate that all bits are
license clean. Which kills the release candidate.

That's how I see it.
--
  With regards,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.