I want to build an old version of HDP.

I think you need some considerations.

* Products of HDP x.y.z is expected to be built against products of HDP x.y.z.
  The versions of products of HDP and Bigtop do not match.
  You will need to fix scripts of Bigtop for resolving mismatch.
  (do-component-build and install_*.sh tend to be relevant.)

* Even if you succeeded to build Bigtop package from HDP source code,
  the contents should be quite different from HDP one.
  (You should just use .srpm of HDP for building .rpm of HDP if available.)

* Artifacts of HDP usually depend on HDP specific artifacts
  published in Hortonworks Maven repositories.
  (This could be resolved by just tweaking ~/.m2/settings.xml or pom.xml of
products.)

Practical example:  *In master:* I want to build spark 2.3.0.  If I use
bigtop.bom or git to build both fail when they try to apply
patch2-snappy-java-1.1.8.diff.

The master branch of Bigtop is expected to build Spark 3 against Hadoop 3.
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/f47d4bcb16e67f50b2403f4fc5071b60ec88c081

Just removing patches should not be enough.