Thank you for the support.

My idea was (naively) that I could build from Apache source code the same
Hadoop versions as what HDP defined as a release.  Specifically the goal is
to **not** use HDP artifacts, so not a true clone but a look-a-like. This
would give a good transition point to a team that was on HDP to move to
BigTop.  Then we could help migrate them to a BigTop release in the future.

My goal is to show that BigTop is the successor to HDP.

Removing patches from bigtop-packages/src/common/<component>/  only works
on your first try.  (Clean git pull)  After that the patches get
sticky.(You can delete them but they still get applied.)  If a Bigtop
feature is to build any arbitrary version of a hadoop package (Use git to
build) should we support version specific patches?

I'm happy to help do the work to make this happen, but I want to make sure
it's in alignment with the project goals.