One thing that I think would help is to add a Github PR template [1]. We
did this for Apache Knox to help make sure that PRs follow some simple
guidelines. After the gitbox migration, PRs are automatically linked to
JIRA (which is good). I think we just had some PRs prior to gitbox
migration that didn't have the autolink part.

[1]
https://help.github.com/en/articles/creating-a-pull-request-template-for-your-repository
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KNOX-1760

Kevin Risden