Julian> The Release Policy [1] states that for a (compiled) artifact
the source code has to be released alongside.

maven-wrapper.jar has nothing to do with Calcite's source codes, so
maven-wrapper.jar is not "a compiled version of the source", so [1]
does not apply here.
It is the very same thing as "binary font file".

I don't see why the policy would allow *.ttf and forbid *.jar at the
same time. It is basically the same thing as long as the binary comes
from somewhere else.
Of course, we should not include calcite.jar into source distribution.
However, maven-wrapper.jar is not something that is produced by
Calcite's sources, so it should be fine.

Vladimir