Comments inline.

Le mar. 2 juil. 2019 à 16:17, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Micael>How so? Just delete the branch or rebase to delete the commits. I
> fail
> to see the complexity here.
>
> The complexity is not technical. It is INFRA who prohibits rebases.
> That is why I suggest we don't put "build artifacts" into the main source
> repositories.
> In the worst case we just throw away "preview repo".
>
> Here is a recent relevant INFRA ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-18499?focusedCommentId=16865680&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16865680
>
> TL;DR there was <<history overwrite in Apache source repositories requires "
> vp-in...@apache.org or our infra admin escalation">>
> They denied to remove third-party jar files from the repository (e.g.
> lib/js_rhino1_6R5.jar), and I did not escalate that because, well, I don't
> want spend time there.

We regularly force push to the Calcite repo, so this is not a
restriction we face. That said, I don't have any major problems with
creating a separate repo.

> Michael>Why do we need both to be in the same repository if we're just
> using it for testing?
>
> I just assume they both could share some resources (e.g. css? images?) and
> have cross-links (e.g. Calcite site points to Avatica pages).
> So I thought it would be just simpler to put everything into a single repo
> so it looks closer to the production site.
>
> Do you suggest to have different "test" sites for Calcite and Avatica?

The two repos are already separate so I don't think this is a big
departure. As above though, I'm not strictly opposed to a separate
repo.

> Michael>With GitHub pages, published content is stored on a
> Michael>separate gh-pages branch.
>
> I'm used to `git clone https://github.com/organization/repo.git`
> It clones all the branches and tags.
> Apparently gp-pages would be there as well.
> Do you think everybody is cloning git repositories in a different way?

My mistake, this is a fair concern.