Hey Vladimir,

Thanks for taking the time to look at the release.

For 1), the discussion in LEGAL-570 [1], suggests that images, PDFs and minified javascript is allowed in the source distribution as they are classified as resources and not code. I am not a Java programmer, but I can definitely see the utility of the gradle wrapper and was pretty disappointed that it had to be removed. I create the builds using the docker-compose file and a shell script [2], [3] and I wanted to remove the pinned gradle docker images versions [4] for this release and defer to gradlew to download the correction version on build (so that I don't have to manually update the docker-compose.yml file when gradle is upgraded), but since LEGAL-288 disallowed the bundling of gradlew, I was not able to go ahead with the change. I am definitely disappointed of course, but to be pragmatic, while it creates some extra work, it's not a showstopper. I definitely hope gradlew will be whitelisted in the future and we can add it back in, but in the meantime, I feel it's more productive to be pragmatic and pick our battles.

For 2), do you suggest we commit the licenses folder into git? I noticed projects like Kafka do so [5], so it could be a good model for us. I checked a few older releases of Avatica and noticed that the source releases didn't include the licenses folder. Was the licenses folder introduced when we moved to gradle? How does the community feel about committing the license folder into git? I think the additional licenses mostly pertain to tools and resources we use for building the Avatica site, so it should be relatively static and not something that changes often, requiring excessive maintenance.

Francis

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-570
[2] https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/blob/master/docker-compose.yml
[3] https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/blob/master/docker.sh