AAFAIK, most projects use the default settings, i.e. edit for
committers, comments for everyone with an ICLA on file.
If non-committers with a ICLA on file want to edit, permissions is
granted case by case usually (at least, that's what i've done since a
few years).
So the bar is lower than for code, but mostly because there's no need
for an apache account.  If you want a low bar for code and doc, it's
easy to vote in contributors as committers.  The lower the bar is, the
more people will get involved, and inviting people as committers often
as the effect of raising their contribution level.  Imho, it's just a
question of trust (which is mostly earned by merit of course).  And
even if they haven't shown the highest degree of comprehension of the
whole code base, people usually commit in area they understand, and
it's easy to mentor / review the commits for a few months anyway.

Actually, I think allowing access to non-committers tend to raise the
bar artificially.  The reason is that when a contributor start
contributing a lot of patches, you need to spend more time to review
and apply his patches.  If he can change directly (using confluence in
our case), you don't necessary feel the pain, thus you tend to not
grant committership as easily.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet