The reality is that users,  want stability and they will be unwilling to move
to versions above 2.8.x unless there's a compelling reason to do so. So if they
know a 3.0 is in the works, they will wait till that version is GA before
considering upgrading. So try to get them to transition easily by moving to 2.9
and 3.0 is a a red-herring. Much better to make the move to 3.0 now.