On Friday, September 23, 2011 3:13:02 PM Rob Davies wrote:
> The reality is that users,  want stability and they will be unwilling to
> move to versions above 2.8.x unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

So let them stay on 2.8.x.   We'll happily provide fixes for them.   We have a
nice back porting process setup now.   I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with that.

> So if they know a 3.0 is in the works, they will wait till that version is
> GA before considering upgrading. So try to get them to transition easily by
> moving to 2.9 and 3.0 is a a red-herring. Much better to make the move to
> 3.0 now.

I cannot see how providing a migration path for some users is a bad thing.   I
specifically have customers asking for such a path as we move forward.   They
want to stay on 2.x line for now (likely till 3.1, fear of .0's) but still
have a nice migration path for their app.    (and no, using a 3.0-RC1 is not
acceptable at all)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp