On the other hand, if the plugin is developped outside the Camel project,
it could be written to support multiple camel versions at the same time,
especially older versions.  Which might be harder (though not impossible)
if hosted inside camel project itself.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Christian Schneider <
ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:

> I think it makes sense to trash the current console at some point.
>
> On the other hand I think we need a good replacement. As the camel
> management APIs evolve over time I think it makes sense to develop the
> camel specific parts of a management console in the camel project.
>
> What I would like to see is a foundation of a management framework as one
> central apache project with plugins for this framework in each project.
>
> So all projects can collaborate in the generic parts of such a framework
> while being free to evolve their specific parts.
>
> I would not really mind if such a console would need OSGi as long as it
> can manage camel instances that are not using OSGi. So depending on the
> OSGi dependency karaf or a separate project may be the better solution.
>
> Christian
>
> Am 25.01.2013 17:57, schrieb Hadrian Zbarcea:
>
>  In the context of a few web based consoles available for Camel, including
>> the Karaf console and the recently announced hawt.io, the question of if
>> Camel needs its own console popped up.
>>
>> My understanding is the some are in favor or Camel continuing to ship
>> with a web console. My personal opinion is that we should not (starting
>> with 3.0).
>>
>> I understand that a web console is very useful to users and a nice to
>> have. However, our console is not that great (to put it mildly), not really
>> maintained and we lack the necessary ui knowledge in the community to
>> maintain something of excellent quality. I think we should focus on the
>> server side technology that we do so well.
>>
>> Therefore, my personal position and proposal is that we should either
>> move the console in a subproject or remove it completely.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Hadrian
>>

> --
>  Christian Schneider