On 29/06/2020 07:29, Claus Ibsen wrote:
Hi

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Peter Palaga <ppal...@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Claus,

we have announced a similar move for Camel Quarkus some time ago. We did
that based on a similar Quarkus announcement [1]. But when I was about
to perform the necessary changes, it turned out that Quarkus got some
pushback from the users and thus they abandoned the plan without letting
us know - see [2]. As a result, Camel Quarkus also had to revisit the
plan. We have decided to make Java 11 our main build and testing JDK,
but kept both source and target compatibility at Java 8.

Requiring Java 11+ API on the Camel side would put Camel Quarkus in a
bit uncomfortable position: unlike all other extensions offered via
code.quarkus.io, our extensions would not work on Java 8 in JVM mode.

We (Camel community) should figure out how to proceed.

The drop of Java 8 is planned for next LTS (Camel 3.7) which is by end
of this year.
So there is still 6 months to go. In that time Quarkus may get to a
point where they have dropped Java 8 as well.

But for Camel 3.5 we can surely wait to drop Java 8 so it does not
happen soon on the Camel side.

Would ou you go ask the Quarkus team what new timeframe they have for
dropping Java 8?

Asked https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/quarkus-dev/7SZAM2BMb9c
-- P

[1] https://quarkus.io/blog/quarkus-1-4-final-released/#java-8-deprecated