> On 21 Jun 2021, at 16:00, Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> @Claus Yes, I wasn't questioning the schedule at all.
>
> However, if the code is validated with checkstyle 8.40 and not 8.43, I was
> wondering if those new (or modified) rules do make sense for camel or we
> should skip them when working on the upgrade for 3.12. Babak, can you give
> some hints about what kind of rules fail with 8.43 ?

It’s always about this check which pops up as an error:

https://checkstyle.sourceforge.io/apidocs/com/puppycrawl/tools/checkstyle/checks/coding/UnnecessaryParenthesesCheck.html

<https://checkstyle.sourceforge.io/apidocs/com/puppycrawl/tools/checkstyle/checks/coding/UnnecessaryParenthesesCheck.html>

For example on this line:

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/main/catalog/camel-route-parser/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/parser/helper/CamelXmlRestDslParserHelper.java#L88

<https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/main/catalog/camel-route-parser/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/parser/helper/CamelXmlRestDslParserHelper.java#L88>

[ERROR]
/Users/bvahdat/dev/workspace/camel/catalog/camel-route-parser/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/parser/helper/CamelXmlRestDslParserHelper.java:88:20:
 Unnecessary parentheses around expression. [UnnecessaryParentheses]

In our cases it’s mostly (not always) because of the fact that logical and
operator in java has higher precedence compared to logical or, so why
unnecessary parentheses.

I think it has to do with the following in 8.43
https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/9957
<https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/9957> which actually seems to
be a regression to me as this should be considered as a warning and not an
error (according to Javadoc above).

Babak