Jack,
The question was about publishing "most stable" release on Apache website as it
done before 3.x.
Regarding your comments, I still feel adventure cant happen in production
systems. And you should certainly test every release before upgrading but you
woulf not like to upgrade to latest releases based on your limited testing. I
feel that you cant do exhaustive testing of the database and can easily miss
critical corner cases which may trigger in production. But its just my
perspective of looking at things. People may think differently.
Thanks All of you for your comments !!

ThanksAnuj
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, 24 Apr, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Jack Krupansky<jack.krupan...@gmail.com>
wrote:   Is the question whether a new application can go into production with
3.x,
or whether an existing application in production with 2.x.y should be
upgraded to 3.x?

For the latter, a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy is best. And
if there are critical bug fixes needed, simply upgrade the 2.x line that
you are already on. Or if your production is on 3.0.x, upgrade to 3.0.x+k.

For the former, we aren't hearing people hollering that 3.x is crap, so it
is reasonably safe for a new app going into production, subject to your own
testing.

Given the relative stability of 3.x due to the tick-tock and "trunk always
releasable" strategies, users are no longer faced with the kind of wild
instabilities of the past.

Ultimately, stability really is subjective and in the eye of the beholder -
how conservative or adventurous are you and your organization. Sure, maybe
2.2.x is more stable in some abstract sense, but for a new app, why start
so far behind the curve? In fact, for a new app you should be trying to
take advantage of new features and performance improvements, like
materialized views, SASI, and wide rows coming soon.

In the past, upgrading from 2.x to 2.y was a big deal. That just isn't a
problem with upgrading from 3.x to 3.y. At least in theory, and again,
nobody has been hollering about having problems doing that.

For EOL, you will have to judge for yourself how long it may take your
organization to carefully migrate a production 2.x system to 3.x somewhere
down the road. No need to rush, but don't wait until the last minute
either. And I suspect that you won't even want to think about upgrading 2.x
to 4.x - IOW, upgrade to 3.x well before 3.x EOL.

-- Jack Krupansky