Well, it can be useful in some scenarios - e.g. temporary tables on nearest or
the same node.

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,
Winguzone - Hosted Cloud Cassandra on Azure and SoftLayer.
Launch your cluster in minutes.

---- On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 13:44:00 -0400 Jeff Jirsa<jji...@gmail.com>
wrote ----

I'm sure that's what he meant, I just disagree that it sounds useful

--
Jeff Jirsa

> On Oct 8, 2016, at 10:33 AM, Vladimir Yudovin <vla...@winguzone.com>
wrote:

> As far as I understand Edward meant to have option determinate actual
storage node on client side, by driver, disregarding key hash/tokens mechanism.

<jji...@gmail.com> wrote ----

> That sounds awful, especially since you could just use SimpleStrategy with
RF=1 and then bootstrap / decom would handle resharding for you as expected.

<vla...@winguzone.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Prasenjit,
> >> I would like to get the replication factors of the
key-spaces using the
> >> strategies in the same way we get the replication factors
for Simple and
> >> NetworkTopology.
> >> Actually LocalSarategy has no replication factor:
> >>
> >> SELECT * FROM system_schema.keyspaces WHERE keyspace_name
IN ('system',

---------------+----------------+---------------------------
> >> system | True | {'class':
> >> 'org.apache.cassandra.locator.LocalStrategy'}
> >> system_schema | True | {'class':
> >> 'org.apache.cassandra.locator.LocalStrategy'}
> >>

> >> It's used for internal tables and not accessible to
users:

> >> CREATE KEYSPACE excel WITH replication = {'class':
'LocalStrategy'};
> >> ConfigurationException: Unable to use given strategy
class: LocalStrategy

wrote ----

> >> Thanks Vlad and Jeremiah.
> >>
> >> There were questions about support, so let me address
that in more detail.

> >> If I look at the latest Cassandra python driver, the
support for
> >> LocalStrategy is very limited (code snippet shown below)
and the support
> >> for EverywhereStrategy is non-existent. By limited I mean
that the
> >> Cassandra python driver only provides the name of the
strategy for
> >> LocalStrategy and not much else.
> >>
> >> What I would like (and happy to help) is for the
Cassandra python driver to
> >> provide support for Local and Everywhere to the same
extent it is provided
> >> for Simple and NetworkTopology. I understand that token
aware routing is
> >> not applicable to either strategy but I would like to get
the replication
> >> factors of the key-spaces using the strategies in the
same way we get the
> >> replication factors for Simple and NetworkTopology.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Prasenjit
> >>

> >> class LocalStrategy(ReplicationStrategy):
> >> def __init__(self, options_map):
> >> pass
> >> def make_token_replica_map(self, token_to_host_owner,
ring):
> >> return {}
> >> def export_for_schema(self):
> >> """
> >> Returns a string version of these replication options
which are

<

All drivers should support
> >> them
replication strategy except when
replication strategy, drivers that
> >> do
falling back to not doing
> >> token
don’t know about is in
> >> use.
this, so they should all

Prasenjit Sarkar &
> >> lt;prasenjit.sar...@datos.io>

that Datastax has proprietary
> >> replication
Everywhere which are not part of the open
> >> source

open source Cassandra driver
> >> community to
strategies? Would Datastax have a