@ariel: you're letting the perfect be the enemy of the good here. We (as a
project) have been releasing with a smattering of test failures and upgrade
edge-cases back into perpetuity. While that doesn't make it ideal or
justify continuing the behavior, getting a green testall + dtest for 3.10
is a strong incremental improvement. Integrating other tests in the "block
if not green" on subsequent releases is likewise an improvement.

I strongly advocate for incremental change in expectations of the
community's behavior rather than a black-and-white, "this has to be perfect
or we block" mentality.

Sankalp's proposal of us progressively tightening up our standards allows
us to get code out the door and regain some lost momentum on the 3.10
release failures and blocking, and gives us time as a community to adjust
our behavior without the burden of an ever-later slipped release hanging
over our heads. There's plenty of bugfixes in the 3.X line; the more time
people can have to kick the tires on that code, the more things we can find
and the better future releases will be.